Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rise to Bless You Still Part 2

“For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38, 39

My grandparents survey and mourn the rubble that was their beloved home of twenty-three years. My grandfather built that home with his own hands. My grandmother raised all her children, fed them and nurtured them within those comforting walls. It was my childhood home for four years as well.

At first the shock of losing our homes didn’t sink in. We were just elated to be alive and too exhausted to worry about anything but rest and a place to stay. Then as the days wore on and we got a closer look at the devastation, it sunk in. Tears didn’t come at first like I expected. Just a feeling of emptiness set in. A feeling of loss, ruin, and not knowing what to do next.

As I went through the rubble of what used to be my home, I would find little treasures, objects that held memories. My tears fell on the scarred wooden floors. Everything familiar I had loved gone. My country paradise would never be the same.

But when the day came to say goodbye to our dear friend Mr. Thomas Lee, who had saved his family and his son’s life by sacrificing his, my grief over possessions disappeared. I felt guilty for grieving over replaceable things. Restoration is at our fingertips, but lives are not replaceable. I still have my family, my father and all people dear to me that were in that tornado.

This Bible verse suddenly held a completely different meaning to me- “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21

If you had seen my home before and after this tornado, you might wonder why my family and I are not bitter, resenting that our treasures and beautiful home were taken without warning. But how could I dare to be bitter towards God when He had just saved my life and those I loved?

My treasure is my family. Not just the family with my last name, but our family in Christ. Those that were with us in that basement, those that we clung to as we prayed for each other’s safety. Those that reached out to us in our time of desperation. It didn’t matter what denomination, they all came to reach out a helping hand. We must look beyond what turns to dust and destruction.

We often cling to possessions too dearly. We must be content to let go. This time in my life has been the biggest test and trial in letting things go. But God has shown me the bigger picture. He has given me such a tremendous peace about what will happen next.

2 comments:

Anglican Mama said...

Hi Bria, I came across your blog because we have several books and authors in common. I'm so very glad I found it too--this post blessed me to pieces. The part you shared about serving one another across denominational lines really jumped out at me--because that seems to hold us back in everyday life. But it shouldn't. :)

My family and I followed much of the tornado in the news, and I'm so sorry that you're family has experienced it's devastation. Saying a prayer for you all, for God's faithful provision as you trust Him.

Mad said...

Home is where the heart is. ~Pliny The Elder~

"for where your treasure is there your heart will be also..."

Home is not a place, it's a feeling. ~antonymous~

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
your friend, Maddy <3