Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Honor of Generations

Grandparents. I love that name. I love their presence. When they walk into a room it's as if the atmosphere feels a little more special. Their calm and steady nature is reassuring.

Grandfathers smile when little people cling to their legs and beg to be held. Their life-carved wrinkles deepen as they laugh at questions of the five year old such as " Why can't I just wash my hands for one time a day?"



They coo at the newborn child, stroke the soft black hair, and their pride at a new blessing spills forth.

Grandfathers think of what would bring pleasure to their little generation. My grandfather spent half an hour in the floor playing with my siblings and willingly answered every question asked. He invests in our lives. He cares about who we become. And he doesn't know it but he's shaping our character.

I love my grandmothers. I can't imagine life without them. Grandmothers were given to us to fill us up with delicious (and not so nutritious) yummies. To rock us to sleep when we're young. To make everything brighter with their comforting presence. To share their knowledge with us about arts of the past. I can still remember my Granna rocking and singing to me as a toddler. Now I watch as she does the same with my siblings.

“You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:32

Grandparents don't care how many they have in their laps. There's always room for more. And they are always helping make memories. My Poppy one night took all us children outside with a quilt and we lay down and watched meteorites stream across the sky. Poppy told us about the stars; he explained about light years and constellations. He made another impression on my character.

"The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old." Proverbs 20:29

My great grandmother is getting to witness her third generation. She's still getting to hold little hands that clasp around the worn ones. Still seeing the fruit of her labor.

May we all give honor to the generations that deserved to be treasured.
May we be willing to listen to the wisdom they have to bestow.

No comments: