Monday, June 18, 2012

Serenity in Beauty


When I walk into my home, what is it I feel? I feel warmth and coziness that teases me to come further in. Flickering candles greet me with their happy dancing. Gardenias send out their aromas to the four pillars of home. Everything isn't perfectly tidy but it's that non-perfectness that's so special. Memories and laughter dwell here. 

The way home feels is so important to my mother. It's why she works so hard for her family. It's not enough for a home to run smoothly. Beauty must be incorporated into life. Mother has woven the beautiful fabric and aroma of beauty everywhere in our home. It is a place of joy and peace, sanctuary made by her hands. 

"She watches over the affairs of her household

    and does not eat the bread of idleness."

 The aura of home determines the way a person feels, emotionally, spiritually. God is a god of beauty. He created us to crave beauty. After we lost our home and all the beauty around us, that craving was always present and desperate for something to cling to. Our anchor of beauty was gone. But it has been restored.

"Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary." Psalm 96:6

I think it so important, that we as young women should strive to make our homes pleasant, a place where dad walks in and sighs with contentment. I want home to be a place my dad can't wait to get to; I want him to long for his family and his sanctuary of beauty. Men like beauty too. (They may not admit it but it's true:)

These are a few of my favorite things...

It's amazing what one can do with candles and Christmas lights.  Or a simple bouquet of wildflowers scattered around the house. Old pallets and mason jars can make the picnic table under the oak tree all the more beautiful at dusk. Even sticks can be used for decor. Even if one can't afford expensive decor, being creative with the resources you have can be so much fun and make home all the more wonderful to be in.



No comments: