Sound familiar? I think we have all been like Beth. Falling in love with a world that doesn't exist. Never liking to come back to reality. Always wanting something more than what real life has to offer. Ladies this is what romance novels do to us!
And I am at fault just as much as anyone else. I went through a phase of not being able to get enough romance through the books I read.
I know we all LOVE Janet Oke and Jane Austin, Lori Wick, Beverly Lewis etc. It is amazing how blind we can be to the damage being done by the lives these authors paint that are far from realistic. But as much as we don't want to, we must take a serious look at how these books may be pulling our hearts away from God's best for our lives.
As much as we try to tell ourselves that romance novels are harmless, they can easily tempt us to become discontent with reality. And some may think that I am making too big a deal about literature, but this is serious. What we fill our minds with at a young age determines the women we will be in the future.
Here are some ways that really helped me. If this encourages you to work on putting romance away from you I would love to hear how you did it!
5 ways I overcame romance novels:
- I got rid of all my romance books -don't give them a second thought!
- I started reading books that really challenged me-i.e. apologetics, theology, etc.
- I began reading God's Word first thing in the morning; scripture filled my thoughts the whole day.
- I prayed and asked God to give me a desire for wholesome, pure thoughts
- I put away any books of mere pleasure except every now and then; and only indulge in those at night after all my work and school and family time is finished for the day
6 reasons to quit romance novels:
- They cause us to be discontent with the life we have
- They cause us to have a false perception of who we want to marry
- They waste our time
- They cause us to look at young men with romantic ideas
- They cause us to have premature thoughts about marriage and thus distract us
- They do not all honor God even though they have a 'godly' message in them
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:9
"Finally, Brethren, Whatever Things Are True, Whatever Is Noble, Whatever Things are Just, Whatever Is Pure, Whatever Things are Lovely, Whatever Things are Of Good Report, If there be any Virtue, If there be anything Praiseworthy-- Think On These Things." Philippians 4:8