Friday, July 6, 2012

Daughters of Zion-Fashion is Good?

I have been told the topic of fashion is just one topic you stay away from in the blog world. But I've been reading a lot of scripture on this lately and I was challenged to consider how we might apply it to fashion.
"Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7
We are created in God's image, for God's glory. God delights in beauty. But He warns us  repeatedly of the wrong kind of beauty
"Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with outstretched necks, and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, making a jingling with their feet..." Isaiah 3:16
The rest of the chapter tells how much finery the daughters had and how the Lord took that all away and there was much sorrow and mourning.  They were haughty in their luxury, therefore, they were punished. 


I do not believe their apparel was listed as the sin, rather it gives an example of what fine apparel can do if we do not keep perspective of why we are wearing it. The root concern should always be "what is my motive? Why am I wearing this? Is it to bring attention to myself? To fit in with the rest of the world?"
"I will punish her for the days of the Baals to which she burned incense. She decked herself with her earrings and jewelry, and went after her lovers: But Me she forgot," says the Lord." Hosea 2:13
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4
Again I think this verse reminds us of the importance of our motive.  True beauty must begin within. Our appearances fade away, but our heart and motives do not.
"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up..." 1 Corinthians 13:4 
Our love for those around us should drive our motives.
"Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor. I cast you to the ground; I put you before kings, That they may see you." Ezekiel 28:17
Repeatedly we see the warnings of pride associated with beauty. God does not forbid fine clothes; He forbids the pride that can come with those adornments. As we seek Him and seek to cultivate an inner beauty that is "precious in the sight of God", our outward adornment becomes merely an accentuating accessory.

1 comment:

Mad said...

Really great post! This is what I needed! Can I share?