Monday, August 6, 2012

What Do We Know of True Love?

I recently ran across these two touching stories and felt compelled to examine my heart and ask a few questions of myself. I thought I'd talk out loud.


Nick Vujicic, a 29 year old Australian preacher who was born with a rare disorder that left him without any of his limbs, recently married  Kanae Miyahara, the wife he had prayed to be blessed with all his life.

In his own words seven years ago, "I realized that I may not have hands to hold my wife's hand. But when the time comes, I'll be able to hold her heart."
"Committed to being a devoted husband, the 29-year-old preacher hoped to do all he could to be a blessing to Miyahara, who he believes is the greatest gift "after life, salvation, and a relationship with God."  Story
And this tear jerker love story gets me every time. 


How many women are willing to do this? Girls think a minute. When you dream of getting married, what is your romantic scenario? Probably the same as mine. An amazingly intelligent  man that will protect and take care for you, that you can depend on when life gets tough, a man that will be the prophet, priest, and king God has laid out for heads of households to be.

You don't find stories like this in Hollywood (The Vow doesn't count people). They don't go any farther in describing true love than chocolate, flowers, cards, and pre-marital intimacy (and happily ever after is sure to follow those!)

Could we give that up like this woman? Could we instead become what we expected him to be to us, to him? Granted her story is one of rarity, but it can still happen. I think it is a beautiful picture of true love; loving despite what expectations you had in store.

1 comment:

Wiola said...

Oh Bria, the story of Larissa and Ian really touched me. It gave me goosebumps. It reminds me of Chris Medina's story (not sure if you've heard of it). It's a great example of true love - when you keep your promise to stay both through good and bad times, sickness and health.

I think it's possible that Ian can recover some more, since he has done some progresses already, like regaining parts of his speech.