Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Titus Impact

"In the same way, older women are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to much wine. They are to teach what is good so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, pure, good homemakers, and submissive to their husbands, so that God's message will not be slandered."Titus 2: 3-5

I am blessed to be surrounded by older women who gracefully fulfill their roles as wise, Titus 2 mentors.

As young women desiring to be prepared for life and hopefully wives, mothers and home-keepers, it is vital for us to have not just godly influences, but women who are not afraid to actively mentor us in our walk towards being a Proverbs 31 woman. But in this culture, godly mentors for girls are few and far between. And while our mothers are our primary mentors, even they need support from other older women.

Older women shake their heads at the foolishness of young women around them, but do they own some of the fault from a lack of teaching?

It speaks volumes to me that my elders are open to sharing their wisdom. It is wonderful to know I can walk up to any woman in my church family and I know they will humbly, but firmly give me a kind answer to my questions of life.

But some might ask "What if I'm not cut out for mentoring young girls?" I do not view the women above me as specifically aiming to mentor me. They are merely doing what is laid out in Scripture. It teaches us so much simply when you are living out your lives according to what Scripture commands. When you embrace the virtues of Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 we look up to that.

"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world…" Titus 2:12

No comments: