Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Guest Post~Laying Down Idols~ Leslie Ludy


  "We must look upon the world, with all its delights and all its attractions, with suspicion and reserve.  We who love our Lord and whose affections are set on Heavenly things voluntarily and gladly lay aside the things that charm and ravish the world, that our hearts may be ravished with the things of Heaven; that our whole being may be poured forth in constant and unreserved devotion in the service of the Lord who died to save us."- Amy Carmichael
 " About three years ago, I felt the gentle whisper of God’s convection as I was sitting in a movie theater.  Eric and I were on our “date night” and wanted to spend an evening relaxing and, to put it honestly, go “brain dead” for a couple of hours as we were swept away by the latest Hollywood blockbuster.  Of course, we were careful to pick a decent, fairly clean movie that wouldn’t fill our minds with a lot of garbage.  But then the previews started, and in the space of five minutes we were exposed to sexual perversion, disgusting bathroom humor, and even outright demonic darkness as the teaser for an upcoming horror movie was shown.  

I began to feel uncomfortable.  Why was I, as a set-apart child of God, sitting here drinking in such ungodly messages?  But then my reasonable side kicked in with a good argument.  God knows I don’t agree with all this stuff.  I just have to sit through the previews to get to the movie – I didn’t ask to see all of this.  I tuned out the still small voice of conviction in my heart as the main movie came onto the screen, settled down in my seat, and prepared to relax and be entertained.  But as the movie progressed, the conviction returned.  It was a relatively “tame” movie; with minimal cussing and violence, and the sexual stuff was more “implied” than actually shown.  It was a movie that almost every other Christian I know would feel comfortable watching.

But the entire message of the movie was the opposite of God’s kingdom.  It was the opposite of His nature, His pattern, His ways.  It was the opposite of everything that Eric and I stand for and believe.  And as we left the theater that night, we began to wonder why we had just spent nearly three hours engaging in something so opposite of the Kingdom to which we belong.  As we talked about this area of our life, we were startled to realize just how much of our time, attention, and money was being invested every week into one of the most dark, vile and ungodly industries in existence.  
Hollywood glorifies violence, perversion and evil.  It glamorizes sin and debauchery.  It splashes sin across a huge silver screen as an entire culture eagerly drinks in its twisted messages. " Leslie Ludy ---Continued HERE. 

No comments: